Monday, December 13, 2010

Resolutions vs. Goals

This year I have decided against New Year's Resolutions. Rather, I am setting personal goals with coordinating rewards. On paper, it is the same thing.....but the mentality going into the new year holds the motivating key. In the past, I would start the year motivated and energized to stick to my list of resolutions, determined to not fail. This would, ultimately, leave me discouraged and frustrated to the point of throwing in the towel two weeks into the new year. Personal goals leave room for flexibility and imperfection; much more forgiving. I have gradually been adding to my list over the past two weeks. While this is not all inclusive, it gives you an idea of the work I have ahead of me.

Exercising 5 times a week.
Scheduling date night twice a month.
Taking time to visit grandparents and extended family....something I am HORRIBLE at.
Spending more time with friends....need to take advantage of the time we have.
Marriage: Friends of ours invited us to a book study at their local church. While the class is wrapping up, I have left with a new found energy and changed objectives.
Take time for me: as the end of the year approaches, and the busiest time of the year is here, i have found myself drained and running on low. This is the result of not taking those few hours every week for myself. I have no one to blame but myself.
Prioritizing. While I know this is something I have always struggled with, it is more necessary now than ever.
Reevaluate our budget/financial goals.
Find a deeper and more intense Bible study. I am currently working on a couple of wonderful book studies. However, I am desiring something deeper and more challenging. (any suggestions??)
Find a new/maintain a hobby: I have a wide array of things that I love doing...crocheting, sewing, reading, Pilates, gardening.....but I don't do any of them. I need to make time to do this. This I would incorporate into "me time."
Find something outside of my comfort zone: There is a lot out of my comfort zone....I am just praying for direction. (and crossing my fingers God just gives me one).
Motherhood: My marriage and motherhood goals have subgroups......so I won't go into detail here.

What about you?? Are you the type to set New Year's Resolutions?? What works for you?? What has been your most bizarre resolution?

4 comments:

  1. I love your goals, Brittany! I know you can do them! So good to see your priorities with God, family, and taking care of your heart.

    Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred is a great workout video for an option to do at home. The workouts are about 20 minutes and there are 3 levels. I really like them - and they definitely give you a workout! Plus, the 20 minutes is nice - and probably would be really good for a mom who might only have a small chunk of time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, I love getting to know you better through your blog. Personal goals are a priority of mine as well. I never want to settle for mediocrity and goals keep me striving toward growth. Your goals will help you feel more balanced and definitely don't seem to be too high to reach but an ongoing growth process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this brittany :) i hope to help you keep accountable! i am pretty sure i will master jillian's 30 day shred...i think that will be a goal of mine for this winter...plus i want to incorporate more hobby time in my life! and leisure reading - where did that go?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had three different people tell me about the 30 day shred....so I think I too have a winter workout planned! Yay! I am also going to be walking in the Mini Marathon this May with YFC, so I have a lot of walking to begin doing as well. But to anyone....I would love the accountability with all of the above.

    ReplyDelete